Monday, March 22, 2010

keep them busy

I wasn't given a lot of parenting advice (I'm told that's unusual), but one of the best pieces of advice was to keep my kid(s) busy. If they're busy, the mom told me, then they don't get into trouble, and they sleep. Keeping a toddler that busy feels like a luxury some days, but in an effort to enjoy my spring break, I've inadvertently kept my daughter very busy. Yesterday was the shooting range. Today was a hair cut and the Penny Arcade in Manitou.

Every time I asked her to pose for a picture of her pretty hair cut and the dress Grandma found for her, she would do this!


Mark discovered that you can't put the quarter in after Miah has taken a seat. "Get me outta' here."


Miah waits for Mom and Dad to finish competing in a Shooting Sports USA video game so she can play some more.


Punch the duck! I would never have appreciated this game without a young child.


Just let me drive.



Miah was immediately sent to a bath when we returned. She had a fine layer of dirt, hair, germs, and yogurt on her by that time. We decided this was a good way to spend $10 and a sunny afternoon together as a family.


Later, after preparing dinner and cleaning up most of the mud the dog and the kid tracked in this morning, I filled out applications for the Whittington Adventure Camp. Only God knows if we'll be able to volunteer there this summer. I've been bugging Mark to go since before we were married. When I became a teacher living less than three hours away, I was more determined than ever to find my way back to that camp. Plus, they always need someone with Mark's skills. It would be a blessing if we could go as a family for a session.

No comments: