Saturday, July 24, 2010

ahg

This oath caught my eye at the 4th of July parade last year:
"I promise to love God,
Cherish my family,
Honor my country,
and Serve in my community."

I had to know who these girls were, and I have waited over a year to volunteer for the American Heritage Girls (http://www.ahgonline.org/pages/page.asp?page_id=18722) which is a story in itself, but I managed to get to the leadership training this morning. Officially partnered with Boy Scouts of America now, the organization is set to boom. The troop leader and unit leaders I'll be serving with have no problem with Miah tagging along to meetings and service projects--hooray!

After observing her at camp this summer, I can anticipate the times and ways she'll be troublesome, but for the most part I'm looking forward to the adventure. I've been looking for some place where I could serve outside of working hours--every place I wanted to volunteer only had training or opportunities during working hours--and where Miah would be welcome to join me. God found that for us, and I am grateful. It will also keep us busy, but not overly burdened. Listening to the goals for this year, and the struggles from last year, I was also grateful for my experience at camp this summer and my experience in secondary education which have clearly equipped me for this sort of program. I can't wait to share the stories in a few months.

No comments: