It's been awfully quiet in our corner of the electronic world because I've been busy with school, we've settling into our new place, preparing for Mark to go to back to school in January, moving Miah into a new day care, and trying to make memories between times.
Like everyone else in Colorado (so it seemed), we headed to the mountains for the three day weekend. Although we originally intended to visit Bishop's Castle, we inadvertently ended up in the San Luis Valley. This was a new area for us. Even Mark couldn't remember, in all of his treks across the state, taking the highway south of Salida.
We first took a gamble on finding a spot in a small state park outside of Crestone, a strange little town with great scenery. No luck, so we kept driving until we got to a car wreck. An SUV had rolled in front of the UFO watch tower. Mark stopped to check on the driver. A few miles later, I got excited about a sign that said "Pool" with a camping sign beneath. On a whim, we turned and drove into the endless brush until we found a pool with a few camping spots. Nothing special, but we weren't planning to spend much time at the site any way.
We headed straight to the National Sand Dunes, a spectacular spot in many ways. We can't wait to go back when the river is flowing. We'll also take our sleds for easier descent down the 600 foot high mountains of sand.
Miah was a trooper. She was usually content holding our hands, occasionally running off on her own, or asking to be carried. One time that she decided to run off on her own.
The next morning, we hiked a short distance to a waterfall tucked inside a wall of rock. Again, Miah did an excellent job. Kudos to my husband for being patient with me since I am anything but athletic. I've always wanted to visit a waterfall tucked off the beaten path.

Zapata Falls

I don't want to grow up, 'cause I'm a Colorado kid.




No comments:
Post a Comment