Tuesday, July 13, 2010

home again


I don't really know how to update the blog now that I'm finally home and taking advantage of some time to myself. I'm afraid I'll sound overly sentimental about camp; at the same time I enjoyed baking muffins, roasting asparagus, and preparing salmon with avocado remoulade last night; I'm excited about completing the paperwork for Mark to return to school, and then saving up so that I can attend a seminar in October; I am also very happy to have Miah to myself for the next couple of weeks before returning to the confines of school. It is wonderful to have happy memories and good things to look forward to.

Without further ado, here are a few more pictures of Miah at camp.

Dusty and I probably didn't expect to cross paths again. We both started with the camp in the 90's, and he has served in some capacity or another ever since. This year he filled in as Shotgun Assistant for two days, and got the second session off the floor with a number of songs. Miah adored him because he tried to teach her all sorts of fun, bad habits.

Eating at the campout. All the groups are given extra food in order to feed themselves and some of the staff. I asked the cooking instructor which group to visit. What a great breakfast.

This is Tennyson, the two-year-old daughter of the Executive Director of the Whittington Center. The girls had only know each other for five minutes before taking hands and playing in the cafeteria. They did this again the next time they met. I wish it had been easier to schedule a play time for them, but every time I put it on my agenda, something else came up.

Miah became a little bit of a tracker during our short exploration walks. She even stopped to point out deer tracks one night in the middle of a football game.

One thing she understood about hunting: be quiet.

Ready to go.

Some mornings Miah insisted on having her moose ride the bus with her. We woke her up way too early, so she was in a cuddly mood on our morning rides.

No comments: