The gun show was back in town a couple of weeks ago which meant that my husband disappeared for a few hours and came back home with "Uncle" Chris. A year or so ago, Chris bought a Russian WWII rifle that kicks like a mule and uses ammunition you can only find at gun shows.

The catch is that the Russians welded the ammunition boxes closed. From what I understand that made sense (and made for a pretty funny French joke--but I'll let Mark tell you that one), and it probably worked well if you were opening the can of ammo way back when. At this point in time it makes for an amusing afternoon as you watch your husband tackle the problem of opening the box in the comforts of a modern kitchen. How were they expected to open these things in a hurry, under fire, with half-frozen fingers, in the wilds of Russia?

Once you get the process going, you open it like a large can of tuna. Mark had the can opened under thirty minutes which filled my kitchen with an unusual smell. The guys started unwrapping paper packages tied with string to reveal the historical cartridges. Most were in good shape. Mark called the carefully stored ammunition "care packages of doom."

I'm afraid that Miah and I weren't very helpful because we were playing in the tent we made out of the tarp I bought for a project. Even Roxy got on board with this, and would stick her head in to play. Miah brought me a ton of books to read while she lay on a pillow. She's going to love camping this year, if we can fit it into our busy summer.


1 comment:
fI love hearing your stories and seeing the pictures of Miah!!!
Post a Comment