Wednesday, July 15, 2009

a good day


In the past 24 hours we've heard good news from family and also heard good news from a friend who landed a dream job in her dream city; we gave a mom a couple hours to help a friend while we played with Miah's friends (I was a King, a prisoner, and something else I couldn't quite understand); cleaned house, got the computer fixed, donated a car seat, cooked, and prepared lessons for the first month of school. But I am most proud of the way Miah handled her first scraped knee.
I'm pretty sure I howled at my first scrape because I howled over everyone after that. This was either due to getting sick at the sight of my blood or frusteration because I was supposed to dress up nice within the next couple of days or it just plain hurt. (It was a given that I would show up in a party dress with a scraped knee or elbow.) So Miah did not pick up that unfortunate character trait of mine. Instead, she was mildly curious, but too excited about being the running dragon to care. Oh boy! This only confirms what I am starting to learn about her: physical pain is nothing compared to getting what she wants.

She might throw a fit because her box gets hung up on the carpet, she'll spill tears when I tell her she can't do something, and she'll cry bloody murder for a minute when I leave her to go to sleep at night, but she will take several spankings for the same lesson and she will not cry when she scrapes a knee. She is her father's daughter.

No comments: