Monday, July 6, 2009

busy day

A couple days ago I picked up a new hat for my fair-faced red-head. We showed it off to Dad while gulping down the morning cup of milk. This inspired Dad to wear his own hat, and so they sat together wearing hats.


In a rush to beat the contractor coming to repair, mud, texture, and paint our ugly ceiling, we installed two more new lights over the dining area. It's amazing how dark our kitching and eating area has been this etire time, and I'm pretty sure I could find a religious metaphor about how living with light changes the way I look at things. Ever helpful and ever Daddy's Girl, Miah was in the middle of things. We let her be since she is happiest if we can find some way for her to be a part of our activities. She's going to regret that when she realizes that with increased age comes increased responsibility.




This done, I took Miah to Wally World where we picked up school supplies (for me), tempting foods for her, and some Tylenol in preparation for her visit to the doctor. At the Dr.'s office I was reminded why I usually send Mark on this errand. Although I had no time to get queasy over the needles, my heart broke over the look of betrayal in her eyes when the kind nurse stuck her once in each leg. We tried once more to see Grandma and Grandpa, but they were out, so we dropped supplies off at school. Miah's favorite thing to do at school is climb the desks and push a locker shelf everywhere, as long as Mom will let her.




As I walked down the hall to my classroom, it was with a shudder: someone had the great idea of moving the Freshman lockers to the English hallway. Even though I was there for the conversation and agree with the decision, it also makes me want to run and hide. It's a good thing they painted my classroom a relaxing blue.

While Miah and I were running all over town, Mark had recruited his friend Chris to help repair our siding. An old friend also came by this evening. They're all outside with the cigars, beer, and the moths swapping stories while I catch up on my website for school. That may sound like work, and it is, but it's satisfying.

No comments: