This has been the year of baby birds and moving boxes. I don't remember much of the months before these two things. After the for sale sign went up on our house last year, I began to brace myself--never imagining that I'd be moving in three different directions and assigning finals. Since then (May) we've been largley unsettled for an assortment of reasons.
Symbolically we ended the year of 2010--you guessed it--moving. We were blessed with a sunny, but brisk, day in which to clear out our storage units. What we weren't able to unpack into the kitchen and bedrooms we were able to store in an unusually large closet in the master bathroom. Loading up the truck, I had to laugh at our porportions of things. When we left the house, we sold just about everything, and apparently all that remains are tools, cooking utensils, a good supply of linens, a few keepsakes, and books. A stranger would think all we did was read, eat, and sleep (and once in awhile play games). I can only wish that were true.
There is a strange comfort that comes from having unpacked my kitchen, even if that kitchen is over 100 miles away. We hope to keep this rental until Mark finishes school. It's a nice feeling. It makes me want a contract with a local school even more. I don't like wanting something so much.
Take a look at this view. Mark took this picture with his phone from the front deck. You get the same view from the front windows which didn't yet get in the way of my cleaning spree--the kitchen and bathroom took too long.
I've told Mark that I want a futon for one of the sitting rooms. If we can find a good deal on one, we'll then have plenty of mattresses to host the family, or friends with kids, down for a weekend getaway.
At first Miah didn't know what to think: she didn't like the new place because of the mess, but she's also ready for a home. I am surprised that she's maintained the distinction of grandma and grandpa's home after all this time. After we cleaned up the boxes and Miah uncovered dolls and toys she hadn't seen for a long time, she accepted the new place.



No comments:
Post a Comment