Tuesday, December 14, 2010

when the days get rough, the cooking gets simple

So I've decided this season that there's nothing that the week of finals can dish out that Chicken and Dumplings, Pecan Pie, and (on the especially rough days) Hot Buttered Rum can't cure. The magazine racks are overburdened with 10-30 minute meals, one pot meals, etc., but my motivation the last two weeks has been to create as little mess in the kitchen on weeknights as possible; I do not want to be cleaning dishes at nine o'clock at night. So when I decided to use the rest of the chicken for Chicken and Dumplings, I started to sweat. Traditionally, I imitate the Cracker Barrel, noodle type dumplings, a.k.a. a floury mess. Last night, I sifted through a handful of cookbooks that wouldn't give me a noodle dumpling recipe, for which I'm grateful. I loaded up spoon dumplings with tarragon (approx. 1T), and viola: soul food dinner complete and only four easy-to-clean bowls afterwards.

Meanwhile, Miah and I finished making our pecan pie (long story) which I've fallen in love with this year. I found a not-too-sweet, easy recipe here. Because it's the perfect balance of nuts and sweet, I had a slice for desert, and just now for breakfast. Bring on the finals... and the last of 85 research papers.

I've also come to appreciate a recipe from Make it Fast, Cook it Slow, although I omit the egg nog. Since we don't have a small crock pot, I just make this in a 2 qt pot on the stove, set near the lowest setting. The first night I made this, Mark came in from a bright, bitterly chilly day. Frosty, tired, and hungry, I handed him a mug. In retrospect, I should have measured the rum more carefully, especially as he hadn't eaten in a while, but it certaily warmed him to the core.

Cheers.

No comments: