Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Trinidad Chapter 2

We drove down to Trinidad yesterday to view Mark's rental and meet his/our roommate. The problem with being a visual and tactile learner is that you have to use a tank of gas to prepare for your move the following week. It cost us more than a tank of gas, however, as we rolled out on the highway during a high wind storm.

I've been on I-5 in California during wind storms, and I've seen the results of those storms on other people's cars, but I've never seen so many 18 wheelers rolled out in the median of an interstate like bugs on their backs. Other truckers, taking the hint, were parked in long rows on the right side of the road. I could see Mark fight the wind with the steering wheel for most of the drive. So as not to get scared, I buried my head in a game. We were both tired by the time we rolled into Trinidad.

At last we found our destination, a cute three bedroom, two bath, two living room, two decked, and large kitchened house on 35 acres. The two car, oversized garage serves as a shop. Best of all, the house has a prime view of the Trinidad mesa with only a glimpse of town. Below the house Mark is renting sits another house on the same property, rented by a young couple. She works at the elementary school while he attends the gunsmith school. We didn't meet them, but I'm looking forward to doing so.

It doesn't sound like Mark will see much of his roommate who claims to always be at work or school, but it was fun to learn that he also works in EMS while earning his gunsmith degree. That sounds familiar.

Since we've just about exhausted our welcome at the Wonderful House (which is a wonderfully tasty, frugal Chinese restaurant right off the interstate--just in case you're a hungry traveler in Trinidad) I asked Ryan if he could recommend somewhere new for us to pick up some dinner. That's when I learned that what the town lacks in quantity it makes up for in quality. Having devoured the Main Street Philly Pizza, I was about to tell Mark he could take me to Bella Luna for a date anytime. Then I remembered how I said next to nothing as I ate one of the best pizzas ever. Good pizza makes for good eating, but not such good dating.

Generally all around encouraged by the trip yesterday, I spread job applications on the kitchen table and finally followed through with everyone's advice: talk to the workforce center. Unfortunately my conversation with the center brought me back to reality. I knew that the new energy policies would have to catch up to the Trinidad area soon. Soon is here: the mining fields have closed, so everyone is taking any job that comes along. Whereas Trinidad might normally have 100 jobs available, it now boasts 15. Yikes!

No comments: