
When you get a text message from your husband that says, "When you get home please remember that it is illegal to murder you children," you might think twice about going back home. I know that I wondered if I had another errand to run before turning the car in the direction of home.
By the time I got there Mark had worked hard on scrubbing the permanent marker out of the carpet and off of most of the windows. I headed to Google like I might have headed to the star home maker a century ago for advice. Unlike the homemaker of old, Google gives you this odd comfort that other parents, many parents, have had cause to ask the very same question. Google has helped me in this department before, but honestly reminded me, as my husband did, it's called permanent for a reason. A lot of vinegar and rubbing alcohol later, Mark drove to the store to rent the rug doctor and buy more of the effective, natural cleaning agents. We did pretty well, but we still have to lightly sand some wood, and Miah's looking forward to at least two baths a day until she looks decent again.
I tried everything with her--epsom salt, vinegar, and her own little cleaning volcano of baking soda and vinegar. She looks a little better.

Mark pointed out that she managed to give herself a little Hilter mustache in her artistic frenzy. Fitting.

Mark's not even willing to entertain the fact that we will laugh about this one day. O yes, we'll laugh over our little girl seizing the permanent marker while Dad tried to bargain at our garage sale and Mom was out getting her hair cut; we'll laugh as we imagine the glee in her face as she drew nice lines down the carpet, colored in our window panes, traced the window sills, colored patches on the walls and in a book, and also turned the pen upon herself at some point; we'll laugh that she tried to sabotage the sale of our house two weeks before we were scheduled to leave; but today we just shake our heads, and remind her that we love her in spite of it all.
For Facebook friends: the answer is g) you just take care of it.
1 comment:
We've been there! A casualty of parenthood I'm afraid. It does make for a great blog post though and you will remember it for the rest of your lives! I hope everything goes well with the house. It can't be fun right now.
Post a Comment