Thursday, January 7, 2010

it is well with my soul

We are reading Peace Like a River in English 10. My favorite! Most of my novels at this level strongly allude to the Bible, but this one parallels the story of Christ. While I enjoy sharing the stories behind the story, I especially love sharing the story behind the title. Leif Enger took his title from the first line in It Is Well With My Soul. After I tell about the immense suffering of Horatio Spafford, we take a moment to reflect on his sheer faith. Depending on the temperament of the class, the students either become very still or a little angry at Spafford. Then I play the hymn for them. This year I found this nice little video on YouTube which plays the song over the pictorial history of the Spaffords. I liked it well enough that I wanted to share. Enjoy!


2 comments:

Theresa said...

Beautiful. Thanks for sharing. I've often pondered the fact that the people who have suffered most in this life are the ones who are the most inspiring. God always uses suffering to form us. Christianity is the only religion that makes sense of this. Hugs to all of you!

the coveys said...

That's exactly what I found reading all those books to become an English major. The Christian authors were the only ones who ended their novels with satisfaction.