Wednesday, November 11, 2009

the turtle won the race afterall

Gusto. Enthusiasm. Monkey. Embrace. These are the words that come to mind when Miah eats bananas. She'll finally decide she's going to eat, and--by golly--she'll eat a banana. She puts all of her energy into stuffing her mouth and rolling banana around in her cheeks.

I've come to love the spirit of activity that toddlers invest in their play, their eating, their loving--no matter what it is they're doing they give it their all. It's something that I've misplaced somewhere along the way.

My teachers used to call me methodical because I certainly wasn't slow, in the way that word is used to describe learners, but I wasn't quick either. I thought I would never learn to multi-task and secretly laughed or blushed when women were praised for their ability to do so. Certain jobs urged the multi-tasking gene to come forth, and that has come in handy, but a friend of ours caused me to laugh and love my inner-turtle ("The Turtle and the Hare") when she said that studies show multi-tasking makes you stupider than when you're on drugs.

No comments: