Tuesday, December 8, 2009

crafty

In college I took a career placement test. The number one career for me? Kindgergarten teacher! But as an entrepreneurial mom wrote in "Cookie" magazine, most parents don't know how to play with their children. I'm one of those moms, and that's why I grimaced at the thought of a bunch of kindergarteners running around my feet all day.
Meanwhile, my daughter is growing increasingly curious and is about to turn two-years-old. How, I've been asking myself, am I going to be more intentional about instructing and playing with her. We camped out the other day at Mardell's to peruse the handful of books that would answer my question. They're expensive, and I find that we're doing a lot of things they suggest already. Fortunately, other moms have been at work to answer my question (http://www.makingfriends.com/-readers_2yearolds.htm, http://www.hubbardscupboard.org/-joyful_learning.html) in budget-friendly ways.
Although, even as a kid, I found all crafts quite pointless, it appears I'll have to change my mindset. Glue, pasta, foods, felt, foil, safety scissors, shaving cream, icing, home magazines, and messes: here we come. Glitter, you alone are safe.

No comments: