Mark and I both work jobs that can be deeply discouraging. Yesterday Mark thought he had been given a break in a series of deaths and saved a four-year-old girl. That didn't turn out to be the case: she is brain dead today. Furthermore the parents might be charged with neglect--for letting their daughter play unattended in the back yard. The story haunts me.
Meanwhile, I am haunted by the changes in our country. People continue to believe this is just another four years in America's history. I almost wish I believed this too because it would make my life easier. Instead, I see the ambitious, bright, even somewhat traditional students--you know, the kids who typically make the most a free market system and want good families; I see them and I think of which of these crazy bills will be coming to fruition just before or just as they enter the work force. I think of how much they will be taxed. I think of how practically impossible it will be for the future entreprenuer I spoke to today to start his business. The only thing that stops me from bawling in front of my students some days is the fact that they would think me crazy.
1 comment:
Sure hoping you'll have some good days mixed in there...you know, the ones where you make a "run" and everything turns out with a happy ending.
As for this nation...these are difficult and sad times. I must constantly remind myself that this I'm just a pilgrim passing through.
I was reading this verse just today...
"Yet Thou art holy, O Thou who art enthroned upon the praises of Israel. In Thee our fathers trusted; They trusted, and Thou didst deliver them. To Thee they cried out, and were delivered; In Thee they trusted, and were not disappointed." Psalm 22:3-5
Post a Comment